Do you often wake up with 'the dread'? You know the feeling you used to get on a Sunday evening before you had to go to school on Monday. It comes deep from within and can leave you in a cold sweat. It's caused by not actually enjoying what you do for a living – and let's face it we spend most of our 'living' at work, so surely it's time to discover that ever-important work-life balance.
Now-a-days more so than ever, people are realising that because we spend most of our life at work, how vital it is to make work an enjoyable experience. Here are 5 signs that you might actually be in the wrong job or profession:
1) You're bored
– you've lost all inspiration for what you do. Even if you never initially had the thrill and excitement from your existing job, there would have once upon-a-time been a reason which motivated you to take it, be that financial, geographical, or professional potential. However, if you've recently found yourself experiencing lengthy periods of boredom, it may be time to jump ship – no one can be their most productive if they have lost the passion for what they do.
2) You're the 'out-sider'
– regardless of pay or people, sometimes we find that we are the ones on the outside looking in. It can be a tough place to be, bearing in mind that we generally spend more time with our work colleagues than we do with our loved ones. It's demotivating, depressing and demonstrative.
3) You aren't interested in the product or service
– This is a tricky one, because how can you expect to be taken seriously as an ambassador for the company you work for if you fundamentally do not agree with the product or service you are being paid to offer. Admit it, you can't be.
4) You're underperforming
– You know you can be good at your job, you used to be, but of late you have lost your drive and with it your performance has taken a turn for the worst. It's not only frustrating for your colleagues and employers, it's also highly frustrating for yourself, knowing that you can do better but not having the drive or motivation to actually do so.
5) You're unhappy
– probably the most obvious clue but sometimes it can be hard to recognise the cause. Work isn't always going to be a bundle of laughs (the very definition of the word is: activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a result.) but it should, at least most of the time, be enjoyable. If you find yourself dreading going to work, being unhappy when you are there and then going home and suffering anxiety about having to go again the next day, then do yourself, and those around you a favour and get out!
If you're reading this and nodding in agreement to the points above then perhaps you need to reassess your work-life balance and take a jump in to fresh waters. And if you really want a rewarding challenge, something you can sink your vampire teeth in to (it is Halloween after all!) then have you ever considered franchising? It's a fantastic opportunity to be your own boss and create your own future, whilst still having the ongoing support of a team of highly trained professionals behind you, assisting and encouraging you every step of the way.
If you'd like more information on a management based franchise, we'd be happy to talk to you and let you know what it's all about. You can also take a look at some of what our franchisees have said about the benefits of owning their own Signs Express business here.